Thursday 19 August 2010

1780s dress cotton chinz

After acquiring ann 1780s Round Gown Pattern I found that if I added an inch all around the pattern pieces it fitted an English size 10 with a few minor adjustments.


The chinz fabric design with ivy leaves and flowers very much resembles the patterns in my book from the Kyoto Costume Institute. I now had a skirt with the circumpherence of 5yds but I actually think it was meant to be 6 yards.

I cut out the lining from white cotton and although I could tell which of the 6 pieces went where the 2 sides I put in upside down and back to front on on 3 occasions. The next item I make I will number the pieces where they join ie a/a1 etc.

I then decided to use a contrasting fabric for the sleeves as thie inside would show. I now think this was the small triangle on the pattern. Like the sleeves on the Regency gown mthe armholes and sleeves are not how they make them nowadays.
First attempt I thought to sew the lining and shaped strips together, turn them inside out and sew the two pieces to the back, sew down the top front/back to the lining and turn inside out but forgot I had to sew on the sleeves.
Second attempt I sewed each sleeve 2 top and 2 lining to the back and front that worked I could then size utp the armholes and pin the sleeves in place.
I had also sewn the lining sleeve so I had two the same! Note: If doing a lining or piece of fabric that is the same back and front mark it with chalk.
At the end as Id run out of fabric I made the overskirt with some netting I
thought it didnt look too bad for my show at Reddfest in June.

No comments:

Post a Comment